Monday, June 4, 2012

Yellowstone Jaunt

 This last Friday we made a quick little trip over to Yellowstone National Park for the day. We left early and came home really late. But it was a lot of fun. This is totally the best time of year to go. The crowds weren't too bad and there were loads of animals! Even some babies. 


The bison were the first thing we saw when we arrived. There were herds and herds of these big guys. I bet we saw at least a thousand head. They were in almost every valley, crossing the roads in front of us, walking around with there calves. It was pretty cool.

Morgan and Daddy posing with the bison behind them.

We went on a little hike to see some geysers. Morgan did not want to pose with Mommy. This one the sun was in her eyes.

This one she's just hamming it up!

After the hike Morgan was worn out. That little girl ran all over the place. She loved looking at the colorful water and joyfully pointing "Oh pretty!". And as you're probably aware the geysers smell because of the sulfur in them. She kept saying, " Eww...cucky!" She loved it, and so did we.

While Morgan was asleep in the car we drove by a whole heard of Mountain Sheep. They even had little babies! They were so cute trying to follow their mama's up the rocky surface of the hill. This is as good of picture as I could get as we were driving by.

Mammoth always seems to have loads of elk around. They just chill on the grass in the center of town or are just munching along side the road. 

Alright, I'm pretty proud of this picture. We were driving by the river when Jason points ahead of us and says, "Look, that bird just grabbed a fish out of the water!" I have to admit it was pretty rad. Nothing I had ever seen before, and that fish was huge! Anyways, the red circle is surrounding the bird with the fish.
Now the coolest thing we saw the whole trip! We were almost at the end of the loop in Yellowstone before we went off on one of the exits and we saw a group of people on the side of the road. Jason hopped out and went over and looked. He came over and told me I had to go look, that there was a bear eating an elk carcass. Sure enough it was a black bear in the trees eating on a baby elk. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. It was the first time seeing a bear in the wild. I have to admit though, it was a little scary. I swore that thing was going to tear through the woods at Jason and Morgan any moment. Silly me :) Oh, and the red circle is once again surrounding the bear. 

We decided to go through Jackson Hole on our way home, actually, I decided to because I love Jackson Hole! It's absolutely gorgeous! 

 There big fellas were were crossing in groups across the road. And once they got to the other side, were doing a bit of head butting. Wouldn't want to be between them. It was a great short trip and we had a lot of time spending time together as a family!

No comments:

Post a Comment