Monday, January 19, 2009

The Move

The beginning of our trip to North Carolina did not start off great. As I and Jason's sister finished up some cleaning at the house we had been house-sitting, Jason went off to pick-up the rental truck. I soon got a call from Jason who told me that the tow-dolly that was suppose to be there to hall our car was still in Idaho Falls. I became very upset since we had went to the place just the other day and they had assured us it would be there. So the first couple hours were spent with me driving the car and Jason driving the truck. How boring that was! We finally made it to Ogden where there was an extra tow-dolly and loaded up the car.

The first night we made it to Wyoming. We were hoping to make it a little further but the winds at 60 mph made us stop. We then crossed through Nebraska and some of Iowa before we stopped in a little town called Clarinda.
The next morning we booked it to Nauvoo, IL. Jason had an aunt and uncle who were serving a mission there and we were able to stay with them. We got there in the afternoon and it was amazing as we came around the bend and the Nauvoo Temple stood tall and beautiful.

We hurried to unload the car and see as many of the sights we could. Our first stop was Carthage. We drove about ten miles out to Carthage and were met with very sweet couple missionaries. We watched a movie and then were able to be guided through carthage jail.We were told about the little family that lived there, how the martyrdom happened, and recieved an enormous testimony boost. It was amazing to actually witness the shot that pierced throught the door, see the window where Joseph fell out of, and feel the spirit touch our hearts.

It was a very spiritual opportunity that we were blessed to have. Soon before we left I went and asked the nice man who led our tour if he knew much of Ephraim Hanks whom I was related to. He had previously mentioned that him and his wife had served at the mission in Martin's Cove. The nice man's face lit up with excitement explaing that he did and that Ephraim Hanks was his part in an act that they had put on. "I love Ephraim Hanks" he said with his eyes filling up with tears. Then he asked me for a hug, "I'd love to hug the grandaughter of that wonderful man". I smiled as he expressed how much he loved Ephraim Hanks. I was so grateful to have met him and will always remember his joy.


We then went back to Nauvoo. We drove around the area. We stopped to look at The Trail of Hope. This was the place along the Mississippi River where the saints crossed when they were driven from their homes.

We enjoyed stopping at the Blacksmiths and learning about wagons and how they were made as well as recieving a little horseshoe and a prarie diamond ring. Our last stop before everything closed up at 5 was the Seventies House. It served as a small chapel for worship services, instruction, and lectures. The first Nauvoo library functioned on the upper floor, which now is a museum that features a listing of early Nauvoo Seventies. Jason and I were very excited to find that both our ancestors, Milo Andrus and Ephraim Hanks served together as member of the Seventy. As we drove home it was quite exciting to talk to each other about that experience. "Do you think they knew each other?" I asked him. "I'm sure they did...this town isn't that big," he replied. We then had fun joking about how they were in heaven laughing about how generations down the road their offspring had been sealed together. "Well I hope they liked each other!" I had to laugh.

Ephraim Hanks                                                                                                  Milo Andrus













That night we settled into Uncle Doug and Aunt Audrey's small little apartment to celebrate New Years. They headed off to a little missionary get together and we were left with the remote and a lovely pizza. As soon as the stroke of midnight hit we replied the traditonal "Happy New Year!", sealed it with a kiss, and headed off to bed. We woke with the smell of waffles and eggs in the air. Dear Aunt Audrey was making us breakfast. We enjoyed the food and soon said our goodbyes and thank yous and headed down the road again. I felt a pang of loss as we passed by the temple one last time and began contemplating in my head how the poor saints felt leaving their beautiful Nauvoo.
We then traveled to West Virginia where we spent our last night on the road. The next day we drve into Raliegh around 2:00. It was a little rainy but we were glad to finally arive at our destination:) The elders quorum came and helped us unpack and we were settled in by 6:00. We were very happy to be to our new home.

2 comments:

  1. Oh good I am glad you had someone to help you unload. I always meant to ask that but kept forgetting. Thats so awesome you got to spend time in Nauvoo. I was worried you didn't get to see much, but it sounds like you did! Love you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So where are the rest of the posts? I know that you are having a lot happen out East there!

    ReplyDelete